Last Updated on July 9, 2022
Shun Knife Review – See What’s Best for Your Kitchen!
Japan is known as a top supplier of the finest cutleries in the world. Through the years, consumers and chefs are going for Japan-made knives for both commercial and residential kitchen use. In this Shun Knives Review, we will feature the best of the best Shun blades that you might want to choose from and use for an ultimate cutting, slicing and chopping experience.
- Shun Knife Review – See What’s Best for Your Kitchen!
Pros and Cons of Using Shun Knives
These knives match the quality of other top knives, including Mercer knives. They are priced reasonably for those looking for the best bang for their buck.
The brand uses only premium quality steel and thinner, sharper and lighter blades for ease of use and top performance. This is also true for their Shun Kaji brand. For example, a thinner edge provides easy control and balance.
The cutting angle of 16 degrees is also precise when compared to European knives, which are usually between 20 and 22 degrees of cutting angle.
Shun is also known for using only durable and top quality materials and sharp edge with maximum retention. Yes, they are some of the best kitchen knives around.
On the downside, proper care must be done or else you might not be able to use the Steak Knives for a very long time. For example, Shun knives must be hand washed to retain their sharp edges. Also, these knives are pricier than others are in the same category.
Things to Look for…
Check on high-performance steels used. It is great to know that Shun keeps its promise of quality for using only top notch materials on its products. For one, find thinner, sharper and lighter steel blades for cutting a wide range of foods, including turkey.
You may also want to check on composite blade technology of combining the most useful characteristics of two steel in a blade. Additionally, you may want to check on layered Damascus steel for extra durability.
Determine your cooking style and purpose. There are knives of 8-inch length or 6-inch lengths. You can also find out how many knives you need. There are those sold separately and those sold in sets. And when you are shopping, you might want to grab an Edge of Glory knife sharpener to keep your blades nice and sharp.
Check on the handle. As much as possible, you may want to select those that have a wooden handle, not those with a plastic handle, for added durability.
Look for balance and comfort features. Additionally, find those that have a D-shaped handle to fit the palm perfectly.
1. Shun DM0718 Classic 7-Inch Santoku Hollow Ground Knife
The Shun DM0718 Classic is NSF certified for use in commercial kitchens, including restaurants, hotels and deli shops. You can look forward to long-lasting use with the knife that has been certified for high quality, performance, and safety.
The product is 7 inches long, making it ideal for a broad range of purposes, including dicing, slicing and cutting. It is a hollow ground knife that is versatile enough to keep up with your cooking and food preparation style; in fact, it can also be used for mincing and dicing.
The item is made of forged stainless steel blade, making it one of the most durable Shun knives around. So if you’re looking for a sturdy chef knife that can keep up with the level of abuse and use in your kitchen, you may want to consider this knife that is also clad with a 16-layer stainless steel to come up with a rust-resistant Damascus cutlery tool.
This knife is also made of a durable Pakkawood handle, which is known for the brand, making it durable and elegant-looking. It is also constructed with an offset steel bolster, which provides you with a tougher knife.
The core of the blade is made of VG10 steel, which becomes a standard in knife manufacturing because this material can retain the blade’s edge for a longer time, meaning you can depend on a sharp knife to use through the years.
- It is also made in Japan, one of the top suppliers of high-quality chef knives in the world.
- This knife comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- The item is NSF certified for its proven performance, safety and quality.
- The blade is a 16-degree angle that makes it one of the sharpest chef knives, which is sharper than European blades that are between 20 and 22 degrees.
- The D-shaped handle fits the palm excellently.
- It requires maintenance.
- The product isn’t ideal for dishwashers.
2. Shun DM0706 Classic 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
This item is the famous Classic 8-Inch Chef’s Knife that many professional cooks use for many purposes, including slicing, chopping and cutting virtually all types of foods. They can use it for a variety of culinary applications. The knife is made using superior Japanese technology.
It is a Kai Shun 20 centimeter knife that is made of 32 layers of Damascus steel, which has a reputation for being one of the most durable materials used in cutlery tools. The chef knife, without even saying, is the more durable choice versus cheap knives on the market.
Aside from being effective, the chef knife has a striking appearance, making it one of the most favorites among amateur cooks and pro chefs who are looking for superior performance and excellent design.
This Shun knife is made even more durable with a combination of SUS410 high carbon steel and VG10 steel that makes it highly resistant to corrosion, rust and other signs of wear and tear even with frequent use.
For stability and balance, the product is designed with an ergonomically weighted and shaped handle, ensuring your comfort and safety. With this chef knife, you can always have peace of mind that you can prevent slippage for using it even with a wet hand.
And if you’re looking for an aesthetically pleasing knife in your kitchen, what do you think about Pakkawood handle? This chef knife looks amazing with its black wood and resin covered handle, which gives it an impressive look.
The product is long enough at 8 inches, so it can be used for many purposes, including dicing, slicing and chopping.
- The knife is an 8-inch model that works for many purposes, including dicing, slicing, and chopping.
- The chef knife is Damascus steel that makes it rust-resistant.
- Its handle is Pakkawood, making it classic looking.
- The product is durable for its SUS410 high carbon steel and VG10 steel.
- The product isn’t cheap.
- While it is dishwasher safe, I suggest hand washing to keep it from becoming dull.
3. Shun Premier Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch
This item is one of the best chef knives I have ever seen online. The reason is that it is an all-purpose cutlery tool that gives me a very good time in the kitchen.
It is an eight-inch knife that makes it ideal for a wide range of purposes, including slicing, chopping, and dicing, among others. I can cut and slice most types of foods, including potatoes and carrots, as well as dice onions and chop peppers anytime that I want.
Additionally, the knife is made with a Pakkawood handle, finished with a walnut stain. It looks classic that fits any kitchen decoration. You will also feel inspired for using a great-looking chef knife that you can always count on for a broad range of cooking needs.
The product is also dishwasher safe; however, I don’t recommend this method because it might make the blade dull due to heat and harsh chemicals. That’s why you should wash it by hand if you want to keep it sharp. And then don’t forget air-drying it for the best care possible.
The chef knife is also backed by a limited lifetime warranty against any defects, so you can have peace of mind that you can get help when you need it. Another reason these are considered some of the best rated Japanese knives available.
It is made from layered Damascus steel, making it more durable than counterparts using other types are. Additionally, the chef’s knife is hand-hammered finish to ensure long-lasting use and create a more visually appealing knife. And because it is hand-hammered, the knife can also prevent knife-drag when you’re cutting as well as keep the food from sticking to its blade.
- This product is an all-purpose chef knife that works perfectly for slicing and chopping meats and vegetables.
- The chef knife is made of layered Damascus steel that makes it stronger than other knives are.
- It is also hand-hammered finish for a striking look. This method also prevents the food from sticking to the blade. Hand hammering can also reduce knife drag.
- The model comes with a premium, stylish Pakkawood handle that can nestle into the curves of your palm for secure and comfortable grip.It is long enough for all types of purposes.
- The blades might become dull after some time.
- The item is more expensive than its counterparts in the same category are.
4. Shun TDMS0300 Premier Knife Starter Set, 3-Piece
The 3 Piece Starter Set is a part of the premier series and is the very best chef knife sets you can buy. If you’ve just started growing your knife sets, then you can go for it to help you perform a broad range of kitchen task.
The set already includes a 3-inch paring knife, an 8-inch chef’s knife, and a 5-inch utility knife.
The set isn’t only reliable for a wide range of purposes, including paring, slicing, dicing and cutting, but it is also beautiful and elegant.
The Shun TDMS0300 also features the well-known Damascus steel, which is highly coveted for its superior performance and strength. And because they come with a hand-hammered finish, the knives also prevent food from sticking to the blades and reduce blade drag for added convenience.
The handles are Pakkawood, with proves more durable than knives with plastic handles. The material isn’t only stronger but also stylish and sleek, which makes it an excellent material for knives that you can be proud of owning.
These handles are also designed perfectly to fit the palm while using each of them, providing you with superior comfort and balance, allowing you to use them with ease and safety all the time.
Each of the knives is also embossed with the brand’s logo that makes them beautiful in and out the block.
And for added convenience, the blades do not require constant sharpening due to their thinness and sharpness.
Overall, the Shun knives are a perfect addition to your kitchen, whether you’re growing an existing collection or you have just started investing in your first knives.
- The set is made by Shun, which is one of the top manufacturers of high-quality cutlery tools in the world.
- The knives are hand-hammered, which is why they can prevent knife drag and food from sticking to the blades.
- The product features Damascus steel for added durability.
- The product is backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
- It is a part of the premier collection for top quality and precision cutting.
- The items are not meant for many years of use if you don’t take care of them properly.
- No knife block included.
5. Shun VB0706 Sora Chef’s Knife, 8-Inch
This item is the Sora 8-inch chef knife from one of our most loved cutlery brands – Shun! It is the go-to chef knife for a broad range of kitchen tasks.
The item features the brand’s composite blade technology, which combines VG10 steel, which is clad with a stainless steel layer on each side, creating a retentive sharp edge for constant use.
This chef knife also features the mirror-polished 420J stainless steel on its upper, and it boasts a 16-degree cutting angle, which proves more useful than knives created with between 20 and 22 degrees cutting angle, on each side. If you need something heavier, then check out our list of the best butcher’s knives here.
- The item features a high-performance technology that keeps it sharp. The cutting edge is also laser cut, and two sections are secured and fitted together.
- The handles and blade shapes are designed using traditional Japanese style knives, making it look elegant and sleek.
- Every handle is made using TPE polymer handle for optimum balance and comfort as well as easy maintenance.
- The item features a VG10 core for long-lasting edge retention and superior performance.The item is made in Japan.
- The handles might not last long.
- The blade requires constant sharpening.
There you have our Shun Knives Review to help you decide on which Shun knife or knife set to choose based on your cooking style and needs. You may also want to consider your budget on how much you’re willing to spend on the investment. Finally, you may want to select based on materials, technology, handles, and edge retention in order to get the best shun knives.
And one thing to remember about Shun knives is that when you feel it’s time to have them sharpened, you can simply return them and they will for it for you! Really! But if you choose to sharpen them yourself, check out our helpful guide on how to sharpen your kitchen knives here. Or our other article that goes over the best knife sharpeners for any budget here.
Hope you find our review helpful and let us know which Shun knife you own in the comments below and how much you love it!