Our Definitive Consumer Guide on the Best Butcher Knives Reviews
Having the best butcher knife in your food prep arsenal is just one more way of saving yourself some time (quality knives cut faster, cleaner and more accurately), saving money (quality knives should last a lifetime!), and add to the enjoyment of actually cooking the dish you’re working on.
And having been a chef for over 30 years, I feel I am distinctly able to give you an overview most other wouldn’t be able to do. Just because I have probably used every single butcher’s knife ever manufactured.
Personally I love the feel of a well weighted knife that is honed and sharpened to perfection. And just like any other kitchen utensil, there is a huge difference between the best and the worst knives.
And seeing that quality knives are actually pretty expensive, it’s good if you’re armed with some solid buying advice from professional chefs that actually handle these knives everyday.
Our Top Chef Knife Picks
Best Butcher Knife in the World: DALSTRONG Butcher’s Knife – Gladiator Series 8″
This knife isn’t just beautiful, it’s hand crafted from the toughest steel. The knife to impress and cherish.
Best Inexpensive Butcher Knife: Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
At less than $20, you’re getting an amazing knife that is perfect for any chef. This boasts a heavy 7-3/4 inch blade.
Best 12 Inch Butcher’s Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife
Perfect for BIG jobs like working with full carcasses, this has the length and weight to get the job done. Anything by Victorinox is excellent!
Best 10 Inch Butcher’s Knife: Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Butcher Knife
Like the above, just a shorter length. And still the highest quality professional knife you can buy.
Best 8 Inch Butcher Knife: Wusthof CLASSIC Butcher Knife
Wusthof gets the best 8″ knife due to it’s hefty blade that even though it’s small, can still butcher any carcass with ease.
Best Looking Butcher Knife: DALSTRONG 10″ Bull Nose Butcher Knife – Shogun Series
This is the high end knife you pull out when you want to impress, quality and beauty in one Butcher knife.
Best Kitchen Knives: Need a visual reference to the different types of knives used in a professional kitchen? This is the article for you.
The Best Shun Knives: Shun knives are in a class of their own, see what in your Shun reviews.
Quick Butcher Knife Overview
What is a butcher knife?
A traditional butchers knife is a heavy and large knife used to cut meat into smaller pieces from a carcass or much larger piece of meat. They are commonly found in meat processing plants, butcher shops or anywhere where large pieces of meat need to be cut down into smaller pieces.
[toc]The knife has a heavy blade that is sharp (unlike a cleaver) and thicker than most other knives. The tip of the blade also rounds upwards and is a great all purpose knife for gutting fish, cutting up steaks and even can be used just to chop up veggies.
For home use they are perfect knives for home chefs looking to buy bigger pieces of meat and cut them down themselves. For example, buying a large piece of beef and then cutting steaks to your own thickness and sizes. This is also a good way to get more beef for your money as cut steaks are more expensive usually per pound than a larger side of beef.
This is NOT to be confused with a cleaver which some people mistakenly refer to as a “butcher’s knife” when it is not.
- Quick Butcher Knife Overview
- Our List of The Top 18 Best Butcher Knives…
- DALSTRONG 10″ Bull Nose Butcher Knife – Shogun Series
- Wusthof CLASSIC Butcher Knife, One Size, Black, Stainless Steel
- Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife, 12-Inch
- Victorinox 8-Inch Chef’s FFP Fibrox Pro Knife
- Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Butcher Knife
- Ontario Knife – Old Hickory 7-7 7″ Carbon Steel Butcher Knife (best small butcher’s knife)
- Victorinox 8-Inch Butcher Knife
- Ontario Knives Hickory Butcher Knife
- Dexter-Russell 10″ Butcher Knife
- Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
- Mercer Culinary BPX Cimeter, 12 Inch, Granton Edge Cimeter
- Global GF-27-7 inch, 16cm Heavyweight Butcher’s Knife, 7-inch, Stainless Steel
- Old Hickory New 7-10 USA Made 10 Inch Butcher Kitchen Knife
- GrandMesser Butcher Knife, 7 Inch Chef’s Knife with Luxurious Gift Box.
- Victorinox 10-Inch Curved Breaking Rosewood
- Sani Safe S112-6-PCP Butcher Polypropylene-Handle
- A Few Butcher Knife Alternatives
- DALSTRONG Shogun Series Boning Knife
- Victorinox Swiss Army Field Dressing Kit
What is a butcher knife used for?
Here’s an example, if the butcher receives a whole whole side of beef (half a cow), they will typically use a butchers knife to cut the beef up into the parts you’d see in a store like steaks and roasts. This is often in conjunction with other knives like a boning knife where the butcher’s knife is too heavy and large to reach between bones and cartilage while dressing a carcass.
What is a good length for a butcher knife?
This is more about personal preference than anything else. I’ve seen people carve up a pig just as well with an 8: blade as a 12″ blade. Personally I prefer a ten or twelve in butcher knife. But, I am a man of average size, and I have been working with these knives for years. You may prefer the 8 inch knife if you are smaller. It’s more about how it feels in your hands.
And what you’re cutting of course.
If you’re going to be cutting up entire carcasses and really do need something that’ll cut through bone, then don’t go under a ten inch blade. If you’re just buying bulk and need to cut down due to sizes, then any knife will suit your needs. But then think of cost. Great Butcher knives can go for hundreds of dollars. If you’re just making a big piece of meat smaller, why pay so much for a one job knife? You’d be better off with a smaller blade that you can use for a wider variety of food preparation.
What is a good weight for a butcher knife?
An ideal weight for a butcher knife is one that is light enough that you can wield with total control, and heavy enough to make deep cuts through flesh, cartilage and bone. Typically they are between a half to one pound in weight. And don’t get the biggest, baddest knife around to look cool, control is everything! If you can’t control your knife, well, this thing is made to cut through bone. It never cares “whose” bone it is!
What is the hole in a butcher knife for?
Actually most professional butchers knives do NOT have a hole. Rather, it’s the cleaver that is much more commonly holed in order to to hang on a hook.
The main purpose was to hang the cleaver from a hook during carcass preparation. The hole allowed it to be hung up high (think kids and safety) while being able to retrieve it quickly. Since the knife is usually used in conjunction with a boning knife, always laying the knife down between using more than one could easily lead to personal injury.
Today a lot of people like to use magnetic knife holders so they don’t necessarily need to have a hole. And some now manufactured don’t.
But in a meat factory, or for professional butchers, the hole is still preferred.
Our List of The Top 18 Best Butcher Knives…
DALSTRONG 10″ Bull Nose Butcher Knife – Shogun Series
If you’re in the market for an expertly-crafted knife that can cut through just about anything, then I highly recommend going with the DALSTRONG 10” Bull Nose Butcher Knife. In fact, it’s our number one choice and personally, after using this knife for a few years, I think it’s the best butcher knife in the world!
Whether you need to trim the fat off of beef, fish, pork, or poultry, or break through tough cartilage, this knife can get the job done.
DALSTRONG engineered the tip of this knife to absolute perfection, giving you strength and precision with each cut. The blade tip is ultra-durable while the curved nose and additional length work together to make long, clean cuts easier than ever. Skinning was almost like slicing through warm butter.
As with just about any DALSTRONG knife, you get high-quality steel. This particular knife provides superior performance using AUS-10V Vacuum-Treated Japanese super steel with a 62+ Rockwell hardness. Beyond that, the pro G-10 handle uses military-grade materials and is no match for extreme heat, cold, or moisture.
The ergonomic handle shape is excellent for the best-possible agility and control. You’ll feel comfortable cooking just about any meal.
Incredible Cutting Power: The blade on the DALSTRONG 10″ Bull Nose Butcher Knife was crafted over a period of 60 days using some of the highest-quality materials available on the market today. The AUS-10V steel is quite special, as it makes use of 67 alternating layers of SUS410 Damascus cladding. Pair that with the Tsuchime hammered finish and you have a knife built for power and precision.
Comfortable Handle: The G-10 handle utilizes military-grade materials, providing users with long-lasting durability. Beyond the durability, the handle is wonderful ergonomic, perfect for those seeking out comfort, control, and agility with their cooking utensils.
Warranty: DALSTRONG is so confident about the products that it offers users a 100% money-back guarantee, meaning you can essentially try it before you truly buy it.
Uneven Grind: The tip has a bit of an uneven grind around 70/30. This can be a bit of a problem, though can be fixed using wet stones.
Price: A bit expensive compared to other similar knives on the market, but worth every penny if you’re being serious and want a knife that you can pass down to your children for generations.
Wusthof CLASSIC Butcher Knife, One Size, Black, Stainless Steel
Wusthof is a family-owned knife manufacturer that has been around for over 200 years. The Classic Artisan Butcher Knife is one of the top knives in the company’s lineup and has an absolutely striking silhouette. The design is one-of-a-kind thanks to the dramatic curved hollow-edge blade and the pronounced skinning tip. This particular knife even comes with a contoured finger guard to keep you safe while cutting.
I would almost say that this knife goes beyond your average butcher knife and is somewhat of a statement piece for any kitchen. Whether you’re trimming cutlets and filets or portioning steaks and chops, you’ll do it in style.
We love the eight-inch size, as it is perfect for a wide variety of prep tasks. With the comfortable, over-sized handle, you’ll always have total control in the kitchen. Even beyond meat, you can skin and slice larger fruits and vegetables. For functionality and style, the Wusthof Classic Butcher Knife is an excellent choice.
- Razor Sharp Cutting: You’ll always get razor-sharp cuts with the Wusthof Classic Butcher Knife thanks to the high-carbon stainless steel design. With incredible sharpness, every cut will feel simple and precise.
- Durability: When I spend a fair amount of money on a knife, I want to know that it will last me a long time. The Wusthof Classic Bitchen Knife is completely dull and corrosion-resistant. It even comes with a limited lifetime warranty!
- Comfortable Handle: The over-sized handle provides comfort as well. At the end lies a full bolster, which adds an element of balance to each cut as well.
- Heavy: This knife can feel a bit bulky and heavy depending on your hand size. While the over-sized handle can provide comfort, it can be a lot to handle for some.
Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife, 12-Inch
If you ever find yourself needing to cut through very large cuts of meat, then the Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife is the perfect choice for you. This beautiful knife can handle just about everything that you throw at it. It is crafted with superior weight and balance, an ultra-comfortable handle, and a razor-sharp edge. You’ll rarely need to spend time resharpening this knife, which makes it a great choice for those who are uncomfortable with the sharpening process.
Some of the top features on the Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife include the lightweight European steel, weighted handle for reduced wrist fatigue, flat spine for added power, and built-in finger guard for safety while cutting.
One of the unique features on the Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife that I love talking about is the non-slip patented Fibrox Pro handle. I’ve had a couple of people in my household use this knife and everyone felt comfortable with the grip, regardless of their hand size.
To top it all off, this knife is completely dishwasher safe. Most knives require handwashing, which can be an arduous task. For high-quality standards and a unique design, the Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Straight Butcher Knife 12” knife is a fantastic choice.
- Strong Cutting: The Victronix Fibrox Pro comes with a straight edge and a hollow-ground, which were made to cut large pieces of meat without much effort. While you’re cutting, you’ll love having the added finger guard to give you stability and safety.
- Easy To Handle: The Fibrox Pro handle creates a non-slip grip that is perfect for people of all shapes and sizes. Even when the handle is wet, you won’t have a problem getting a good grip on it.
- Large Size: At 12” in size, you won’t have any problem cutting, portioning, or skinning the largest pieces of meat out there.
- Can Lose Sharpness In The Dishwasher: While the knife is rated as dishwasher safe, it may end up losing a bit of sharpness if you aren’t careful to dry it immediately when it is done.
Victorinox 8-Inch Chef’s FFP Fibrox Pro Knife
Technology matters when it comes to cutlery, and this Victorinox product, I find remarkable. Its blade works perfectly in sectioning out meat portions that I always do in my kitchen.
The product isn’t only for butchering, but I also find it useful in most meat cutting jobs I do. For more information, check out what I found advantageous and disadvantageous about it.
- It is ideal for most meat-cutting jobs, giving me peace of mind that I can finish the task faster than using any typical butchering knives in my kitchen.
- The product has a comfortable shape, giving me better control and power in cutting. I can use it conveniently in cutting big meat cuts and roasted meats.
- The product is made of a high carbon stainless steel blade for sharpness. It is also ice tempered for longer lasting sharpness.
- It is also made of durable materials and stamped construction.
- Proper maintenance is required to keep it sharp.
Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Butcher Knife
For many years, Victorinox cutlery products have always ranked high in reviews. No wonder on that matter, I believe. The brand has always kept up its standards in designing and introducing the best knives on the market – like this butcher knife.
It comes with high performance and works ideally for most butchering jobs of all types of animals. It can be used in cutting big cuts or meat and even whole roasts.
- The 12-inch knife is made of a high-carbon stainless steel blade, which provides optimum sharpness and improves edge retention.
- It is ice-tempered for improved durability as well. When it comes to making our first investment on butcher knives, I find this feature useful.
- This product can sustain sharpness for a longer time as compared to other products in the same category.
- It comes with Fibrox textured handle, which is slip-resistant, giving us better control and balance in cutting. The handle is also ergonomically designed for ease of use.
- It is expertly made in Switzerland, which is known for top performing knives.
- The product is backed up with a lifetime warranty against maker defects.
- It comes with a perfect taper along its blades, and it comes without serrations, making it ideal for shredding and tearing, too.
- If you constantly soak your knife in the water, you might lose its sharpness fast. Avoid this practice, so make sure to hand wash and dry it immediately after use.
- It might be damaged if you wash it in the dishwasher.
- Constant and proper maintenance are needed to keep the sharp edge.
Ontario Knife – Old Hickory 7-7 7″ Carbon Steel Butcher Knife (best small butcher’s knife)
The Ontario Old Hickory 7-7 Knife is the perfect small butcher’s knife for anyone who is on a serious budget. It makes use of high-quality 1095 carbon steel for cutting and is fully tempered and heat-treated for razor sharp cuts and durability. The hardwood handle provides an antique look, perfect for traditional-style kitchens. It even has the Old Hickory logo engraved on it between the brass compression rivets.
The handle, of course, is made out of American Hickory. It is a straight handle that swells just a tad bit towards the back end. The buffed and burnt look is super neat, giving it an antique aesthetic, perfect for older kitchens. Even though it wasn’t necessarily made with ultra-comfort in mind, you can use it for hours without feeling worn.
As for the blade, you get 7 inches to work with, perfect for those who are performing smaller preparation tasks. It is made of 1095 carbon steel, is .056” thick, and is hollow-ground. As for the shape, it is pretty much your standard butcher’s knife. You will likely need to continue sharpening this knife for it to retain its usability, though when sharpened, it has a very sharp edge, as with most carbon steel blades.
The Ontario lends itself quite nicely to chopping and slicing. It is an excellent, budget-friendly option for those in need of a solid butcher’s knife at home.
- Sharp: With high 1095 Carbon steel, you get a sharp knife that can perform all types of cutting, chopping, and slicing tasks.
- Durable: The blade has been completely tempered and heat-treated for added durability.
- Inexpensive: This knife offers some of the best value that you will find out there today. Most knives in this price range simply won’t hold up to the Ontario Old Hickory.
- Not Stainless Steel: Because the Ontario Old Hickory is not made out of stainless steel, you will need to make sure to keep it clean and dry so that it does not rust over time.
Victorinox 8-Inch Butcher Knife
Getting a versatile butcher knife is essential for our kitchen so that it can handle most of our cutting and butchering needs. This product deserves attention on that matter because it can handle most of the job. In fact, it can be used for cutting whole roasts as well as big chunks of meat without any difficulty.
It is made of high carbon steel that gives it that nice and longer edge retention and sharpness. The product also comes with Fibrox handle, which makes it slip-resistant and provides us with better grip.
- High carbon stainless steel
- Lifetime warranty versus maker defects
- Made in Switzerland
- The manufacturer used a unique tempering process that keeps its blade sharp for a longer time.
- The product provides users with a better grip.
- It might need constant resharpening to restore sharpness.
- The blade might become dull over time, especially if you don’t wash it immediately after use.
Ontario Knives Hickory Butcher Knife
- Durability: You can never go wrong with a knife that is tested through time. if you’re looking for a sound investment on your first butcher knife, just as you’d love to find the best rotisserie oven for your kitchen, then you might want to consider this one that has an impressive design and materials, including a 100% heat-treated and tempered carbon steel.
- Hickory hardwood handle: For someone finding a knife that is slip-resistant for safety, then this one might be a sound choice for its hardwood handle that is known for its easy grip characteristics. And to keep it secured in place, this model comes with brass compression rivets. Whether you are a cook, a mother or a butcher, looking for safety in a knife is one of the most important aspects of the shopping process. For that matter, this unit might be able to attend to that need.
- Sharpening process: The maker is known for introducing innovative knife products on the market for its consistency in bringing high-quality knives that users would love to use. This unit has undergone their rigid sharpening process to ensure you of a sharp edge that will help you attend to most of your cutting and slicing needs, whether you’re operating a deli shop or a restaurant. See our top picks for the best knife sharpeners here.
- Proven sharp blade: The blade, as said, has undergone a strict sharpening process, not only to ensure of precise cutting but also to keep up with most of your demands. It is hand ground and tempered to keep its sharpness for a longer time. In this case, you don’t have to sharpen the blade from time to time, meaning you don’t have to waste time on repetitive sharpening!
- Elegant finishing: The butcher knife isn’t only high performing, but it is also aesthetically pleasing. Its handle is heated and buffed for a classic look.
- The 14-inch blade length might be too long for some users and applications.
- You might have to sharpen the blade more often if you are frequently going to use it.
Dexter-Russell 10″ Butcher Knife
- High quality: Proudly, the maker is said to be the largest cutlery makers in the US and the only one that can compete with top cutlery manufacturers and suppliers from Japan, Germany, and Sweden. Thus, it is one of the most trusted brands in the US, both by home cooks and professional chefs. The unit we’re featuring here is also commonly chosen by deli shop and restaurant owners.
- Polypropylene handle and tang blade: This is a sanitary model from the brand. It is resistant to the growth and reproduction of bacteria. In this case, you can have peace of mind that the food you are preparing for your family won’t be cut by a dirty knife. It also comes with a tang blade that keeps it clean for a longer period.
- High carbon steel blade: The product might be a good choice if you are looking for a corrosion-free and stain-free, mainly due to the micro-pore reduction process. With the butcher knife, you can look forward to long-term use that you can depend on for many years in your kitchen, restaurant or deli shop.
- Strict sharpening process: Each knife underwent a rigorous sharpening process so that it can keep up with the heavy demands in your kitchen or restaurant. The knife can cut almost anything out of the box. So for ultimate cutting, you might want to consider the unit that can provide you with that.
- Slip-resistant: It comes with a textured grip that makes it slip-free for your safety. It also comes with a protective finger guard for added safety. With it, you don’t have to worry about cutting your finger.
- Multi-purpose: The product can be used in a wide range of tasks, including in a deli or butcher shop.
- Limited Lifetime Warranty: The product is backed up by its limited lifetime warranty to ensure of your top satisfaction.
- The blade length of 10 inches might be short to use for some applications.
- The edge type of straight might not be what some users would opt for a butcher knife.
- The plastic handle might not be sturdy enough as compared to knives with hardwood handles.
Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife
Rada is an American company that has been manufacturing high-quality cutlery in the United States since 1948. The company is still going strong today, manufacturing some of the best butcher knives in the country.
This 12 ⅛” butcher knife is one of the largest on our list, perfect for the biggest cuts of meat out there. I love the Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife, as it pays homage to the old days of cooking. There are truly some things that don’t ever go out of style, and this type of knife is one of them. Even with its simplicity, you can use it to split, chop, or skin all kinds of meat effortlessly.
The stainless steel blade is heavy, made from surgical-grade T240 high-carbon stainless steel. The knife has been hand-sharpened with expert craftsmanship and includes a skinning tip, allowing you to perform the entire prep process from top to bottom.
I absolutely love the handle on this knife as well. With a knife this large, you need a handle that is comfortable and has enough grip to allow you to make cuts without fatigue or loss of balance. With easy-grip materials and a long, ergonomic design, you’ll be able to hold onto this knife for hours without getting tired. It should also be noted that the handle is dishwasher safe.
- Dual-Serrated Steel Blade: The blade on the Rada Cutlery Old Fashioned Butcher Knife is made from T240 high-carbon stainless steel. With the dual-serrated blade, you can make clean and straight cuts almost every time, regardless of your skill level. The knife is ideal for fruits, veggies, and meats of all kinds.
- Ultra-Comfortable Handle: Whether you are a veteran chef or a burgeoning prepper, this knife is easy to use thanks to its comfortable and ergonomic handle.
- Lifetime Guarantee: Rada stands by its craftsmanship. They vow to replace any knife that has defects in craftsmanship or material, giving people peace of mind when they make their initial purchase.
- Short Handle: While the handle is comfortable, some may feel that it is a bit too short. If you have larger hands, it might not be suitable for you.
- Thin Blade: The blade is a bit thin, meaning it might not be as strong as some of the other similar knives on this list.
Mercer Culinary BPX Cimeter, 12 Inch, Granton Edge Cimeter
The Mercer Culinary BPX Cimeter, 12 Inch, Granton Edge Cimeter is perfect for cutting and trimming a wide variety of meats. You get smooth and clean cuts thanks to the ultra-sharp blade and total comfort throughout the prep process with the included nylon handle. The Mercer Culinary BPX Cimeter, 12 Inch, Granton Edge Cimeter features a sleek, curved design, which allows users to cut large chunks of meat without care.
I love the pointed tip on the Mercer Culinary BPX Cimeter, as it helps to make deep holes and cuts. I can slice meat easily in one fluid motion, adding a bit of functionality to the process.
The German stainless steel blade is made out of high-carbon material and features an unbelievably sharp edge. With a stain-resistant design, it is the perfect knife for years of use in a restaurant setting. One of my favorite things about the knife is the Granton edge, which creates small air pockets between the knife and the meat. Pair that with the exceptionally comfortable nylon handle with a non-slip grip and you have a knife that is ready to roll at any moment.
- Easy Cutting: With a sharp, high-carbon stainless steel design, you can cut through just about anything with this knife. It utilizes a textured Granton edge that helps create more fluid slices by allowing air to fill the space between the knife and the meat.
- Ergonomic Handle: With a knife this large, you’re going to need a comfortable handle. Luckily, the textured, ergonomic nylon handle is perfect for those seeking out comfort. The handle even features a unique, contoured shape, as well as a protective finger guard for added safety and peace of mind.
- Long Design: With the ultra-long blade, you can get long and deep cuts with all kinds of meats.
- Difficult To Store: Due to the size of the blade and the fact that it lacks a cover, you may find it a bit difficult to store this knife.
Global GF-27-7 inch, 16cm Heavyweight Butcher’s Knife, 7-inch, Stainless Steel
If you’re looking for something a bit smaller to cut your meats, I highly recommend checking out the Global GF-27-7 inch, 16cm Heavyweight Butcher’s Knife. At 7 inches, it is the perfect portable knife for all of your butcher needs. One thing that separates this particular knife from most is the fact that it uses a much thicker and heavier blade. You can cut with far more heft than your average 7-inch knife.
It should be known that Global is a brand used by professional chefs around the world. You know that you’re getting access to an ultra-powerful blade that can slice cleanly through all kinds of foods.
One unique thing to note about this knife, as well as other knives manufactured by Global, is that the handles are filled with sand to create the perfect amount of balance. You will have the feeling of constant comforters you prep and cook. The handle also has darkened dimples, which provide users with a non-slip grip. Even if your handle gets wet, you’ll still be able to make cuts safely and confidently.
With a smooth contour and stainless steel construction, the Global GF-27-7 inch, 16cm Heavyweight Butcher’s Knife eliminates food and dirt traps. The knife will stay clean for long-lasting use with 18 stainless steel that uses a blend of chromium for top-notch stain resistance.
- Heavy Design: Even though it is a relatively small knife, the Global 7” Butcher’s Knife is uniquely heavy, perfect for those who want a bit of added heft.
- Quality Cuts: The blade on this knife is made with CROMOVA stainless steel, a high-tech and high-quality steel that stays sharper for longer. To improve the longevity even further, the knife is face-ground with a long taper.
- Comfortable Handle: The knife comes with a stainless steel handle that is ultra-comfortable to hold and uses molded dimples for added non-slip comfort and safety.
- Expensive: Considering the fact that this is only a 7” blade, it is quite expensive compared to the others on the list.
Old Hickory New 7-10 USA Made 10 Inch Butcher Kitchen Knife
If you can’t fathom spending a ton of money on a butcher’s knife, then I highly recommend looking into buying a more inexpensive knife that can still get the job done. Luckily, there are plenty of them on the market. One of my absolute favorite budget knives is the Old Hickory 7-10.
Even with its low price point, this knife is used by professional butchers in slaughterhouses all around the world. Beyond that, it has become a bit of a staple in the food prep world. The blade is made of easily sharpened high carbon steel. It is tempered for cutting super straight edges and is heat-treated for added durability.
The unique 10” blade has a length design that is perfect for industrial or agricultural-style cutting as well.
One of the things I absolutely love about this particular knife is the hardwood handle. With a natural wood design, the handle has been buffed and finished with an antique polish. Within the handle, you will find brass compression rivets, which help hold the knife together and provide you with a bit of additional grip.
Old Hickory is a classic brand and this knife is a solid choice for the traditional cook.
- Traditional Design: If you have a traditional-style kitchen, then the Old Hickory 7-10 will fit in like a charm. The antique, natural wood handle looks great and feels even better in the hand.
- Razor Sharp: The blade is made out of high-quality stainless steel, which has been heat-treated for added durability. You’ll be able to slice through all types of cuts with absolute ease.
- Inexpensive: As you probably know, quality knives can be quite expensive. The great thing about the Old Hickory is that it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. You can get excellent cuts with peace of mind.
- Rust: Because the blade is not made of stainless steel, you do need to take care of it more to make sure that it does not rust. Always make sure that it remains dry when not in use.
GrandMesser Butcher Knife, 7 Inch Chef’s Knife with Luxurious Gift Box.
The GrandMesser 7-inch Chef’s Knife is a wonderful choice for those who are in need of a smaller knife to work with. With a perfectly curved design, dividing meat is easier than ever. The knife uses 100% stainless steel for strength and durability, and has anti-stick holes on the surface of the blade so that meat does not stick while cutting.
No matter what kind of cutting work you need to perform in the kitchen, this GrandMesser knife can get the job done. I absolutely love the horse track handles, as it provides users with supreme control. From beginners to professionals, this knife provides both control and safety when in use.
The design of the knife is very balanced, to say the least. It’s pretty incredible how much balance and control you get with the ergonomically designed handle. Even after an hour of cutting, you won’t feel fatigue.
Compared to many knives of this size and within this low price range, this knife is wildly sharp and durable. It has even been laser-tested for quality assurance. No matter what kind of cooking needs you have, this knife will be able to get the job done.
One thing I truly love about this knife set is that it is the perfect knife set to gift your loved ones. It comes with a luxurious gift box, which can make an excellent housewarming gift, wedding gift, or birthday gift for a burgeoning chef.
- Ultra-Sharp: The GrandMesser Butcher Knife makes use of high-quality carbon stainless steel, delivering some of the sharpest cuts you can get.
- Ergonomic Handle: With the ergonomic PP handle, you can use the knife for hours on end without ever feeling fatigued.
- Built To Last: The GrandMesser is more than just a Butcher’s Knife. It is suited for most cutting applications thanks to its sharp, never-rust design. Even with the inexpensive price, it is a knife that you can keep forever.
- Needs Sharpening: Does not come as sharp as other knives right out of the box, so you will need to sharpen it before you start using it for optimal use.
Victorinox 10-Inch Curved Breaking Rosewood
- Affordable: The Victorinox knife is of high quality yet is one of the most affordable on the market. If you’re a serious home chef, then you might want to consider something of this great value. The product isn’t too expensive, but it possesses the most important qualities of a good knife.
- High-quality materials: The product is made from durable and quality components; thus, you can depend on its reliability to cut through meat without any problem at all.
- Switzerland-crafted: The country is known as one of the top suppliers of high-quality cutlery products in the world, along with Japan and Germany. When you bought a product that’s made by proven reputable experts in the business, it is peace of mind that you’ll get, knowing that you’re making a sound choice for your first butcher knife or additional kitchen cutlery collection.
- Rosewood Handle: Rosewood is one of the most chosen handle material among makers simply because it can give that elegant look as well as hardness in the handle for ensured durability. Part of its classic styling, it is crafted with a beautiful design that adds to its elegant appeal.
- High performance: The product can cut through large quarters of roasts, deli, and meat into smaller parts with precision. It comes with a unique curved blade that gives it that cutting power, meaning you can look forward to a single pass cut, especially regarding taking out the bones from the meat.
- The 10-inch blade length might be too short for certain applications.The blade isn’t that flexible.
- The overall weight of the product is a bit lighter than its counterparts are.
Sani Safe S112-6-PCP Butcher Polypropylene-Handle
- Top performance: The knife is built to last a lifetime. It can help you cut through a wide range of meat products, including those you’d cook in your favorite copper cookware without breaking a sweat. This is a beginner-friendly model is suitable for home cooks, chefs, and butchers because it is not hard to use at all and it performs on top of its game when it comes to cutting.
- Slip-resistant handle: When it comes to safety, one of the most crucial features to look for a butcher knife is a slip-free handle. With that in mind, you may want to consider the Sani-Safe model that can provide you with exactly that level of safety you should get. Along these lines, it is made with a functional finger guard that can naturally protect your fingers from being cut. This is a useful feature that beginners may want to consider when shopping around for that butcher knife that’s right for them.
- Easy to clean: You won’t break a sweat in cleaning this product; thus, you can save so much time that you can use for your kids and loved ones.
- Carbon-steel blade: This feature is a standout! With it, users can look forward a robust knife that won’t break no matter the pressure it gets from cutting.
- Pointed tip: You don’t have to worry about fine-tuning the knife in cutting because of its pointed tip that does magic in helping you cut precisely. Along these lines, the product also comes with a straight edge that makes the butcher knife useful in a wide range of cutting applications.
- The length of the blade might be too short at six inches for some applications.
- The plastic handle isn’t that sturdy as compared to other knives that have hardwood handles.
A Few Butcher Knife Alternatives
DALSTRONG Shogun Series Boning Knife
If you’re looking for precision, quality and performance, then you might find an ally in this DALSTRONG boning knife, which comes with high innovation for guaranteed cutting power.
Its handles can withstand moisture, heat, and cold, meaning you can look forward to long-term use of this multipurpose boning knife. Check out the following for top pros and cons to know about it.
- High cutting power: When it comes to cutting technology, DALSTRONG never fails! It is one of the most trusted makers of high-quality knives and cutlery products on the market. This particular unit provides users with the exceptional cutting power to depend on for their kitchen or restaurant needs.
- Durable handle: It is impervious to cold, moisture and heat, meaning it can stand the test of temperature and weather changes. So if you’re looking for a high-quality knife that comes with a solid handle, then you might want to take a look at this DALSTRONG model.
- Military-grade materials: They are robust to keep up with any level of abuse and use that they receive in any commercial or residential setting. You can expect more power in every slicing or cutting using this knife.
- Precise design: The maker makes sure that the knife comes out with a perfect balance so that users won’t have a hard time in cutting virtually all types of meat.
- Multi-purpose: The DALSTRONG model is designed and created to serve you in multiple applications, including skinning, deboning, filleting, cutting and trimming your meat. In fact, you can cut meat in the butterfly technique using the unit. It simply cuts through meat perfectly!
- High hardness: It is nitrogen-cooled to achieve an extreme 62+ Rockwell hardness, helping users make short work of their butchering requirements and expect the long-term use of this product.
- Rust-free: It will not rust, no matter what.
- The blade is only six inches, making it inappropriate for some applications.
- The blade also needs constant sharpening similar to a Nakiri knife.
Victorinox Swiss Army Field Dressing Kit
A top rating Swiss Army field dressing kit, this item deserves one of the top spots in today’s review for its best features that users can depend on. Quite similar to the best chef knife sets, it comes with seven different butcher knives for the deli chef, homemaker or amateur cooks like me. Check out the following for its top pros and a few cons.
- It is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts for its top performance. The product works perfectly for fishing and hunting activities.
- The product comes with Swiss-made cutlery innovation that is proven for its reliability and durability to last through the years. Swiss innovation is well recognized in the world for its top performance, and even top chefs salute to the guaranteed performance of Swiss made tools.
- The tools are multifunctional – with their superior blades that suit hunting, fishing, and cooking, among other purposes.
- It comes with a six-inch boning knife, eight-inch breaking knife, 10-inch cimeter, six-inch fillet knife, 3.35 paring knife and honing steel – wow! The item includes a cutlery roll for easy, secure and safe handling and carrying.
- The blades are of high carbon stainless steel and they are hand-finished for optimal performance and satisfaction.
- The knives are made using strict and unique tempering process, which is used for re-sharpening the blade repeatedly for ensured top performance.
- The blades might become dull over time, so constant re-sharpening might be needed to restore sharpness.
- The knife is quite expensive.
For this roundup, our clear winner is the DALSTRONG Shogun Series Boning Knife – it’s strong, durable and high performing, in fact many say it’s the best butcher knife in the world. It keeps up with the test of time, and it gives us what we exactly want in a butchering knife – provide us with exceptional cutting power and offer us multifunction for cutting most types of meats, even whole roasts.
While I also trust the performance of Victorinox Swiss Army Field Dressing Kit, I just find the DALSTRONG boning knife better, even for outdoor activities, including fishing and hunting.
Finding the best butcher knives on the market might seem hard at first. But using a guide like this one, you will be just fine. That’s why I am hoping that I have helped you pick that right butcher knife for your needs today!